Welcome. You came to the right website if you want to learn to meet the needs of the English Language Learners (ELLs) in K to 12 classrooms.
We have developed this site because education policy in Ontario has led to a significant decrease in the amount of ELL support provided to students by ESL specialist teachers.
Cutbacks have also affected other important services for English Language Learners and their parents. Ontario policies suggest that every teacher should be an ESL teacher.
Therefore, the focus of this site is to provide researchers, teachers, and teacher-educators with resources to develop their professional knowledge around English as a Second Language teaching and English language learners.
You can find the following information on this site by navigating through the sidebar:
- Links to News and Events in the ESL community
- Background information related to demographics, ESL policy and terminology
- Two Streamed Video series and handbooks, based on the research of Dr. Antoinette Gagné, director of the ESL Infusion Initiative.
- Resources related to Equity, Inclusion and Newcomer Settlement; ESL Learning and Literacy; Program Planning and Assessment
- Additional resources for use in the classroom and for teacher educators
- Contact information